Sunday, December 31, 2006

Away with the birds.


(This photo is from January this year,with fermented plums intoxicating the Lorikeets into posing for a close up )
The backyard is ominously quiet.
I've ventured out several times to get photos of the Lorikeets and cockatoos but not a one is to be found.
I've sat on the ground,still as a stone(so still in fact several ant colonies began negotiations to construct a nest under my left foot).
I sat quietly while the native(stingless) bees buzzed in my hair.
I sat not so quietly when the european bees(with stings) buzzed around my shirt(note to self-bees like the colour blue).
Magpies scratched in the dirt next to my elbow,one cheeky bugger even having a peck at my shirt(apparently they like blue too).I'm sure they thought me very rude for not responding to their inquizative squawks and I can only assume I'm no longer on their social register.
The Mynah birds are back in abundance,feeding their multitudes of offspring with stolen chook food,which means the Rainbow Lorikeets aren't within swooping distance.
They can be heard several yards away,probably feasting themselves silly on a red flowering gum in a neighbours' yard.
The cockatoos have disappeared completely,not a screech or a swoop to be had from them.
Perhaps they were having a rest stop yesterday,a time-out in their game of "let's get together and scare the bejebus outta the humans".
Are they gone for good ? Maybe not,maybe they've just popped over to visit the in-laws 3 suburbs away or are dive bombing the sea gulls at the beach before they get down to business of stripping every edible and non-edible tree,shrub,plant and house bits they can lay their beaks on .
But I'll be waiting for them !

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our long neglected but still fecund orchard hosted an annual drunken bird bash - raucous is not the word. The only thing missing were a curfew and the riot police.

Monday, 01 January, 2007  
Blogger Bugs said...

LOL yes ! That's exactly how it gets here - we have to watch the neighbourhood cats don't try for a pickled snack ;)

Monday, 01 January, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home